joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Saturday, May 06, 2006
Sick of Being Broken
Every now and then we're reminded how fragile the human body is... this is the second time this year that I've been reminded of my mortality. First was that awesome "snowboarding on a toboggan drunk" concussion (pure genius, no?), now this. I swear, it didn't involve booze, or even some vain attempt at the irrational. No, this was just a regular ol' bike ride gone bad. And no one (that I know of) even saw it happen. Middle of the day, riding carefully, and not even too fast, on the sidewalk, then BAM! out of nowhere my wheel gets pulled away by a crack. Of course, the traditional course of action would be to get thrown off the bike. Alas, I continued forward, landing ribs on handlebars with full weight and momentum to boot. Funny thing is, I kinda bounced, hopped off, caught my balance, grabbed the bike (still in a crumbling fall), and re-mounted my unfaithful steed to continue along my way. It must have been absolutely comical, 'cause I didn't even fall over, I just sorta bounced off, then back on to my bike, and continued on my way. it wasn't till I got home that I realized how hard I actually hit the handlebars. After much icing and complaining, and five days of pain, I sought out a doctor who said that my ribs are most likely fractured, but there's nothing I can do, so I just have to live with the pain for a while. Great. Nevermind the fact that moving and breathing hurt, I just finished school for the term, and all I want to do is party. *sigh... okay, done feeling sorry for myself.

In lieu of sympathy cards donations of inebriants may be made in person.

-jm