joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Saturday, April 22, 2006
Eco-Footprint for Earth Day
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/

okay, so today is earth day, so rather than recycle something, or plant a tree, I returned to the eco-footprint website to see how bad I really am. If you haven't done it yet you really have to give it a go. it's very simple. you just answer a few simple questions and it tells you how many planets we'd need if everyone lived like you. Apparently I'm exactly on the Canadian average, consuming the equivalent of 8.8 hectares of land. If everyone in the world lived the way I do we'd need 4.9 planets. now consider, I don't eat processed food (very often), I walk or bike everywhere I go, and I live in a moderate to small apartment. just for kicks I did it again, pretending to be a jet-set, big house, big car, big consumer american. that's when it told me we'd need another 21 planets. Not to be outdone, I went back and pretended to be a kenyan organic farmer, at which point it told me I was using 0.7 of the global 1.1 hectares available per person. So basicall, either we're all totally fucked, or we're screwing over most of the people on this planet by using up all the resources. Now I have to figure out how to consume 1/5 of what I normally do without starving to death...

happy earth day.