joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Thursday, August 17, 2006
Under the Radar
Nearing the end of my stay here in Kin, and it's time to disappear for a bit before the trip home. Today I will be having the lesson with Papa Commandant at the National Music School, then I will be going to Georgette's orphanage for a couple days. After that I'll be back with the family that took me in when I first arrived for my last few days. I don't expect to have internet access until I get home, so this may be the last blog entry from Kinshasa.
I was supposed to have my class with Papa Commandant last Saturday, but ended up getting a bit sick (Shhh!, don't tell my mom!), and so we re-scheduled for today. Hopefully, if all goes well, Papa has organized for a few drum builders to come and meet me, and show me their wares. My hope is to pick up a drum today, so wish me luck!
Once I get back I hope to offer up some samples of the journal entries I wrote while here, as a lot of them have pretty interesting and funny stories. It had been my hope to have slightly more regular internet access, but it's been pretty good anyways.
...
Yesterday was the last day of classes for our little seminar, and I made a promise to some of the students that I would help them build a blog for Congolese students to share their voice on the world wide web. I figure I'll squeeze that project in somewhere between naps and the child soldier conference (and work, of course), as I'm getting ready for the next school year. If any of you out there have skills or expertise in this field please let me know, I would be glad to have more volunteers on board to help develop this new project!
...
Well, that's about all for me now, I should finish this entry before the diesel generator dies and takes my blog with it! Cheers all, and wish me well on my trip home!

-joel
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
One week to go!
Looking forward to your return & more stories.
Been eating anything unusual, i.e. more poisonous grasshoppers again?
So very glad you've had such a productive trip. I'm sure you'll leave a lasting impression on many people there. Good luck with the kids in the orphanage!
See you next Thursday!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Safe travels mon frère!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Joel, so sorry you didn't make it out of Kinshasa before they closed the airport. Contact the Canadian Embassy (by phone) to let them know where you are. A UN vehicle will transport you over the river to the other Congo where there is an airport that you can fly out from.
Good luck & God bless!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
For those of you checking in to see how/where Joel is - yesterday he told me (by text message on my cell) that he was able to confirm a flight with Kenya airways leaving today (Wednesday). I'm assuming he'll be in contact with more details soon and I'll keep you posted on here. If you want, email me at crystal.marion@gmail.com.