joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Friday, August 04, 2006
Beginning Phase Two
Just a quick note this morning, as I prepare to go out for the day. As of yesterday we've started working on the second phase of my Congo experience: teaching at the Christian University of Kinshasa (Université Chrètien du Kinshasa, or UCKIN;). John, Michael and I have been working out a syllabus for our short seminar, and this morning we'll be sorting out the final details of exactly what we'll be teaching. One of my biggest tasks is to take all the material we'll be covering (quite a bit, for such a short course), and translating it all into French. See, somehow I decided it would be a good idea not only to teach Conflict Resolution with John, but to be his translator, too. So, I have to try to link all the material to my limited vocabulary, then try to adapt it all to Congolese cultural context. We'll be teaching interpersonal conflict stuff next Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, then the following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we'll be covering Global Conflict. Michael has agreed to assist with some English as a second (or third or fourth) language courses, as well as teaching a couple short classes on Children and War, and Refugees and War.
...
My ride has just arrived, so it is now time to meet the administration of UCKIN... wish me luck.
-joel
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Good luck with the translations! I did some Conflict Resolution (moreso interpersonal) in French during my CWY program. sorry i don't have the notes to send you. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Good luck!

PS Dallas and I are camping at Camp Morton tonight and we're going to check out the Icelandic Festival in Gimli. Wish you were here!

Crystal