joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Thursday, August 31, 2006
Photos, finally!
Finally, I managed to get my photos, and scan a few:

These were the orphans we visited. Mama Georgette is third from the right in the back. All the children are holding books that were bought with our donations. The money will also help all of the kids buy uniforms and go to school for the next year.

This beautiful valley is where Georgette (who also has a degree in engineering) is farming fish (back left), and various vegetables and fruit.

A close-up of a few of the orphans. This is (left to right) little Georgette, Kevin, and Jean-Pi. Georgette and Jean-Pi were all smiles, and really liked playing with me on my short visit.

and finally, the pièce de resistance:

Jean-Pierre Bemba's house on fire right before the election. This is the picture (or related story, at least) that prompted my mother to threaten to cross the ocean to lock me in my room. unfortunately, we were driving as I snapped the shot, and the flames were covered by the smoke. Right after this shot a whole buch of ammunition blew up, and the flames shot up thirty feet in the air. The funy thing was, nobody was running away from all the burning ammunition, they were all heading towards it!

I'll try to scan a few more pictures when I get some free time again.

-joel