joel marion (dot) blogspot (dot) com
My name is Joel. This is my Blog.

Sunday, October 23, 2005
Congo Expo Show
Okay, so I’ll have to update this when I have more info but here’s what I have for now…
What: an expo of the Conflict in the Congo, featuring guest speakers, a photo slide show, FOOD, drumming, singing, and some live music by ME.
When: Sunday October 30, 2005 starting at 5:00pm
Where: University of Winnipeg Duckworth Centre, 2nd floor
Why: to inform people about the conflict in the Congo, encourage engagement, and fundraise for development projects.
… so basically, I met a man who just came here from the Congo in the spring, and he’s put together this event to let people know about the horrible war that’s been going on in his country (that’s killed more people than any other war since WWII). There will be guest speakers talking about the conflict, a photo slide show (warning: graphic content; it will be optional, and in a separate room), food from the Congo, drumming, and singing, and I will also be playing a few songs, including the debut of a new song (lyrics below: These Eyes).
The idea is to let people know more about this war that has destroyed so many lives, and continues to this day. It has often been referred to as “Africa’s Forgotten War” because it hasn’t gotten the attention of more striking, immediate crises such as the Rwandan Genocide (which many say was the start of the Congo war), or the current genocide, and subsequent humanitarian crisis in the Sudan. If you want to read more, start here:

-joel

(P.S.: any bloggers out there who can tell me how to get rid of those stupid little flower bullets? I just don't have the time right now to figure it out and they bug me)